Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My first entry into Project Run and Play

When I saw the theme was "it's all in the details" I just had to try to make an entry into the contest. I took a vintage white pillowcase for the skirt and two retro style bikes and kites fabrics that just screamed summertime to me. I wanted to keep the vintage feel and go with lightweight fabrics and a bright and white colorway. I'm calling this dress Summer Daze.
The bodice is made from Sew Sweet Patterns Amelya dress pattern and the cotton designer kites and bikes fabric. It's fully lined in some of my stash fabric, a very lightweight red poly cotton gingham. I used a vintage yellow large rickrack trim along the neck and armholes, and cute vintage red heart buttons at the shoulders for detail, and the whole bodice is topstitched. I love the bright blue buttons in the back for a pop of color. The skirt Is the top of the pillowcase and I machine appliquéd 8 bright colored kites, keeping the edges raw to emphasize the casual feel. The strings and bows are all ribbons from my stash. I found the little pink butterflies in my stash as well so I machine stitched a few of those on with glittery gold thread. The bottom ruffle is from the kites fabric coordinate and I made the red ruffle on top from some gingham ribbon. I zigzagged the vintage yellow grosgrain ribbon along the kites ruffle hem to add body and color. The matching diaper cover is from the kites and bikes fabric and Dana's diaper cover pattern. It features a triple ruffle on the backside made from the red gingham ribbon and two more butterflies, the yellow rickrack on the front, and a paper bag style waist. I had so much fun making this dress!!
Ps- yes that's my 2 yr old son modeling the dress, I made this to fit my baby girl for next year so she's too small to model it! ;)
Check out my entry on projectrunplay.com!



















2 comments:

  1. This is so bright and fun! We sure love the colors and the details. Those bloomers are adorable! Great job Momma!
    with love
    -Jo
    by the way
    Our sew along entry for the week can be found here. http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/04/concentric-circle-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw yours this morning, I was quite wowed, it's totally amazing!!!!

      Delete